12.15.2009

Meet My Bicycle

A few months ago I decided that I wanted to get a road bike. When passing by a bicyclist, my heart skips a beat and I tear up. Okay - so maybe I'm exaggerating a liiiiittle bit. I want a bike that I can take everywhere. I want to join a bicycling club down in Monterey and ride Saturday and Sunday mornings with people who know what they are doing! I also want to give Beatrice (my car) a break, and ride a bike to work. I have heard of some people who make New Year's Resolutions to ride EVERYWHERE. I don't know if I am that ambitious. Maybe I could pull off biking 4 of 5 days a week? Or maybe have five freebies a month to drive?
Monterey, PG, & Seaside (8.4, 2.9, 8.8 square miles, respectively) are my new backyard, and there is no better way to check it all out than on bicycle. I am currently reading David Byrne's Bicycle Diaries and he points out the fact that when you limit yourself to a car, you are at the mercy of urban planners. They build major roads and highways on the edge of town, forcing drivers to stay on the fringe. With my bike I want to discover cute new places to eat (and drink)... So Green!

No comments:

Post a Comment